Monday, October 7, 2013

30 Days of Halloween - Day 6: Podcasts

Today I'll simply point out that I did some informal theology podcasts last year.  A few of the episodes are relevant to meditations on horror and Halloween.

Relating to yesterday's post on ecology and monstrosity, below is a podcast on the idea of a Theology of Wildness. I discussed Flannery O'Connor's short story 'Parker's Back' and animal imagery in scripture used as metaphor for humanness...


I said on Day 3 that I had written a long article on a Theology of Darkness (published in Fungi Magazine issue 21).  That idea was actually birthed in a two-part podcast on the same subject...


Sometimes I think we tend to excise the monsters and wildness from the Scriptures as we read the Bible (from either believing or unbelieving perspectives).  I hope things like these little discussions can help us to stop filtering out or watering down the elements of horror, both evil and holy, that pervade the Bible's rich imagery and theology.  (Indeed, I think some passages of Scripture would be as good for Halloween readings as anything from Poe or Lovecraft!)